Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Learning 2016

Over the break I happened to watch the Edward Boyle Memorial Lecture from the Royal Society of Arts on Teachers TV (that probably says a lot about the kind of person I am). Anyway, in this programme Stephen Heppell discussed what he thinks learning might look like in the year 2016. This lecture was interesting to me in that it seems to support the transdisciplinary notion I am exploring in my research. Heppell specifically points at education needing to be "project-based" rather than "discipline-based". He is particularly harsh on Universities and questions the relevance of assigning essays in the age of Google suggesting instead that open and transparent contributions in the form of moderating an online forum or producing a podcast are more relevant. The video is available online and I recommend it to anyone vaguely interested in education and learning.
Creative Archive Licence

[edit] Also, for the US perspective have a look at How to Bring Our Schools Out of the 20th Century by Claudia Wallis & Sonja Steptoe:
"Kids also must learn to think across disciplines, since that's where most new breakthroughs are made. It's interdisciplinary combinations--design and technology, mathematics and art--"that produce YouTube and Google," says Thomas Friedman, the best-selling author of The World Is Flat".

No comments:

Blog Archive

My Portfolio

John Marshall Portfolio

My Linkedin Profile

View John Marshall's profile on LinkedIn

rootoftwo's shared items

About

I am exploring a hybrid form of art and design practice through the use of computer-based design and fabrication tools. I am interested in experimental objects and spaces that are dynamic and responsive and seek to challenge perceptions, expectations and established behavior.

Creative Commons

My del.icio.us

Site Meter